Saturday, October 12, 2013

How I Learned of the OSR

In early 2012, when I first became interested in getting back into playing D&D, I of course started by browsing the Internet to see what had been going on during the years since I last played. One of the first things I did was to look up the Dragonsfoot website. I was a regular lurker there in the early 2000s but had not been back since my previously-mentioned 2004 campaign. I was pleased to see that the website not only still existed but that it appeared to be thriving. And I was amazed at all the 1st & 2nd edition AD&D products available there, created by enthusiasts of those rule sets. I was glad to see that there were still so many other gamers who, like me, preferred the older editions of the D&D game.

However, one thing puzzled me: In my Internet searching I kept coming across the acronym "OSR" but I had no idea what it meant. It took some further research but I eventually learned that I was part of a movement and didn't even know it! During my approximately 8-year absence from table-top gaming, the preference for playing older versions of Dungeons & Dragons had grown into a movement known variously as the "Old School Renaissance" or "Old School Revival". It was also at this time that I learned of all the D&D retro-clones which had been produced over the last few years. And finally, I saw that I had missed out on a period of gaming history referred to as the "Edition Wars". After reading up on that, I decided maybe it was just as well that I had not been actively gaming for the past several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment