Saturday, March 8, 2014

House Rules: Spending Wealth for Additional Experience

Since I got back into role-playing games after my multi-year hiatus, one thing I've found is that my definition of "adventuring" has changed. Back in my early gaming days, going on an adventure meant a dungeon. It soon expanded to include other settings such as caverns or the wilderness but adventuring still involved the characters going to some remote location, far from civilization.

Now, I regard any location as a potential adventure setting and I've recently found myself becoming more interested in urban adventuring. While mining the web for information and ideas along those lines, I came across these interesting blog articles:
I particularly like the idea of spending money in town to gain additional experience and the possibility that throwing all that coin around can result in unintended consequences for the character just makes it even better. However, I can never leave well enough alone and I'm always tinkering around with the game rules, especially house rules. These wealth-spending house rules were no exception and so I generated a revised set which I've been using in my current 1st edition AD&D campaign on Roll20.


Now that we've play-tested these house rules in my own game a few times, I've decided to put them out there for anyone else who might be interested. These rules are written with 1st edition AD&D in mind, but should be easily adaptable to just about any game system. If you decided to use these house rules I hope you will find them an entertaining addition to your own game!

House Rules for Earning XP Through Spending Wealth

No comments:

Post a Comment